Have you all tried this whole co-washing thing? It’s been popping up here and there for a little over a year now and it’s definitely not new but it’s newly on trend so I figured it was time to chat about it. Originally when I heard about it I was all Ermmmm nope. Bye. I couldn’t wrap my brain around the fact that a conditioner could clean my hair and wouldn’t leave it a super greasy hot mess from another planet. I did a bit of research though, properly convinced myself to give it a go and tried what any self respecting product hoarding crazy person would do… TRY ALL THE PRODUCTS.
Co–washing is short for “conditioner-only washing.” It means skipping shampoo and relying solely on conditioner, whether you’re a daily or a weekly washer. The result is something between squeaky-clean and second-day hair—that is, smoother, softer, and easier to manage. – Real Simple
Curly haired girls will really enjoy this method. Curly hair tends to run on the drier side of the spectrum and co-washing is perfect for anyone with hair that’s lacking moisture. I have color treated hair and this method is a must have for me to retain moisture. However I have thin straight hair so this isn’t something I would do daily, I alternate and do this twice a week.
- PUREOLOGY CLEANSING CONDITION
- PURELY PERFECT CLEANSING CREME
- SHEA MOISTURE CO-WASH CONDITIONING CLEANSER
- GROW GORGEOUS CLEANSING CONDITIONER
- CAROL’S DAUGHTER HAIR MILK
- HEAD & SHOULDERS CO-WASH
- HAIR ONE HAIR CLEANSER AND CONDITIONER
- PANTENE CLEANSING CONDITIONER DAMAGE REPAIR & PANTENE CLEANSING CONDITIONER COLOR PRESERVE
- PALMER’S CLEANSING CONDITIONER
- RENPURE SOLUTIONS MINT, POMEGRANATE, LAVENDER
Ready to give it a go? First up, buy some product!
- Soak your hair. While in the shower make sure your hair is fully saturated.
- Grab a handful of product, I know with conditioner we are usually told to just apply to our ends and in a small amount. Change your thought process completely, you need lots o’ product for this. Completely cover your hair from root to tip.
- Massage into scalp.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Rinse, dry and style!
Let me know if you try this out and what you think! If you’re committing to this for your regular routine, be sure to use a clarifying shampoo at least once a week.